Monday, June 9, 2008

It's Official!




Yes, it's official - she's a graduate! We had an absolutely AWESOME weekend - everything went so well, and we made memories we will cherish forever. Nicole had commencement on Friday evening, graduating with honors along with 24 college credits. Nana and Gaga were able to attend the ceremony with us and we were so happy that the weather held off so everyone could attend. We sat with our close friends, Gary and Sher, and together watched our kids graduate. We celebrated afterwards with the graduates at Chilis before they went off to their parties. Nicole attended the school's all night Senior lock-in party and she had a blast. She said that almost all of the Sr. class was there - the community businesses sponsor it and do a fabulous job of entertaining and give-aways. On Saturday, Dad & Marion arrived, along with some long-time friends of the Ryan family, Ron & Martie (who are such a hoot!). We had a big spaghetti dinner under the "circus tent" in the backyard and just enjoyed the evening. Sunday was Nicole's graduation party and due to a lot of planning and great help, it was wonderful. It was everything that I had hoped and prayed it would be, honoring Nicole and a celebration with many people who've known her since 3rd grade.

As you look at the pictures, you'll see one with an empty chair - it was for a Senior girl who passed away this year before graduating. She had worked so hard throughout her illness to earn her diploma. Kaleb, a friend of Nicole's and most of the other seniors at Park High, gave a speech and honored the young lady and her family. He also said a beautiful prayer and the sun began to shine. He then removed his own cap and gown and laid it across the chair. It was so moving, and also a reminder that sometimes, high school graduation can be taken for granted, but for this family it was a dream that their daughter wasn't able to celebrate. It made me all the more appreciative of this moment and the family that was here with us to celebrate Nicole.













Let the caps fly!



Graduation Open House:





























3 comments:

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

Oh my goodness - I'm crying. I just can't believe it. The picture that got to me was the one of her walking in her cap and gown, she just looks so grown up. I'm so proud of her!! I'm so glad the party went well - man, that WAS a circus tent!! I so wish I could have been there - we were thinking about you guys all weekend - I called twice, but I know you guys are so busy. Great pictures by the way - and Happy Birthday Karen!!

Nana said...

Congratulations! I am glad everything turned out so good. I have been checking all week-end to see pictures. They are great. How sad for the family that's child didn't live long enough to graduate. What an accomplishment Nicole has to graduate with honors and college credits. Thanks for sharing the happy moments.

Jennie said...

So sorry we couldn't be there with you Coley. We love and hope we get to see you soon. We're so proud of you.