Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Grab Your Ticket and Head to the Fair!

This week the State Fair opened and it's a huge deal in Minnesota. It took us a few years after we moved here to discover the fair. Although everyone, and I mean EVERYONE got excited the last week of August, I just couldn't relate, because my experience of a fair was in a small town, a county fair, and after an hour, you were pretty much done. We have grown to love the state fair, and attend a couple of days during the ten day event. We usually attend a concert (and they are awesome!) and spend that afternoon/evening at the fair with no kids. Then we go for the full day, fun-filled, hauling 3 kids around the fair, getting our money's worth even after they're ready to go. Somebody usually gets in trouble for whining or complaining, but we always leave with full bellies and exhausted, but with lots of lots of fun memories.

We usually try to attend during the week, but this year, both days were on the weekend and it was packed! Attendance is somewhere around 115,000 each day but Cary says that if Glenn Beck estimated it, it would be a million :). On Saturday afternoon, Cary and I went with Duane and Michelle and had a great time eating and people watching before attending the Tim McGraw concert (which was awesome!). We had lots of laughs, as always, and the next day, when both couples were toting around 5 kids in 100+ degree, I kept going back in my mind to the day before and how much fun it was!





It's not a fair without tractors



I just had to take pictures of this display. The MN State Fair really is a study in culture and there are some things that crack me up. These are portable fish houses, fancy ones, that you park out on the ice for 3 months and can sleep in. Crazy!


He's reeling in a big one!


and I really don't think this qualifies as a potty....


The guys found the motorcycle display and also a trailer that hauls your dirtbikes and converts to a small camper - start saving!


If you can think up a food, you'll find it at this fair.


Getting our concert treat... yum!



The state fair gopher found me :)


(and Emily, look at Kiki's silly bands - I never take them off :)


Tim McGraw sang non-stop for an hour and half - no political messages or talking. His energy at 43 was incredible and I'm a new fan!







At the end of the concert, there are always fireworks - it's a tradition and one of my faves.


Yes, we are hokey and we have a blast!


4 comments:

Nana said...

One of these days I am coming to Minn. It is on my bucket list of things to do before I take off to Heaven. Looks like lots of fun and I love all the food there. It certainly is bigger than the Bradford County or Clay County fair. You have more people attending the fair than we have in both counties. Looks like a good time.

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

Your state fair pictures always amaze me - but this year you really seemed to capture the feeling of being there! LOVE that first one with the big crowd!! Did you happen to find "deep-fried butter" in that endless aray of food - I hear that it can be found at state fairs now - crazy I tell ya!

Just a "TAD" more said...

When David heard that you was going to see Tim McGraw he was jealous! Looks like such a good time with the family and friends. How do you get around with so many people???

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

Aunt Kiki - Thank you for showing me that you are always wearing your silly bands. I love you and I love you the most.

Love, EMILY