We had a full day planned to see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, so off we went on the subway. One thing I love about when we travel is that our kids get a true experience of the city we're visiting. They learn how to read subway maps and directions (which can get really confusing!). They saw a whole different lifestyle of people who commute in daily on subways to a city and the time that it takes to get to work. We had an emergency plan if someone got separated because those subway doors shut very quickly - but nobody got lost!
The world trade center site.
Hopping on the ferry over to Liberty Island. It was cold and drizzly, but fortunately the sun came out later.
The Central Railroad Terminal Museum. After going through security, we boarded another ferry to Ellis Island and then to the Statue of Liberty. I really liked seeing this building and also seeing all the train tracks that led to and from it - you could just imagine immigrants trying to find their way through this maze.Kari's great grandmother and great grandfather came through Ellis Island in 1913 and we were able to find their names on the manifest.
Looking back at the city from the ferry...

We toured the museum in the base of the Statue and learned so much! It's always amazing to actually experience what you learn in school or read in books. This foot is a full-scale model of the size of the statue. We also learned that during the 80s, the iron braces inside the statue had corroded against the copper (which is very, very thin!) and so they were refitted with stainless steel braces - a tedious and painstaking process.Looking up into the statue
Me trying to get the above photo :)
Battery Park
The Sphere that once stood in the plaza of the World Trade Center - there is also an eternal flame that was lit September 11, 2002.
Grand Central Station - crazy! While we were people watching, which I love to do, I thought I saw a friend of ours from Minnesota. Sure enough, they were in town visiting their son who is at Columbia University. If you look to the left, there is a lady in a red sweater, and we are talking with them. I thought it was so bizarre that I even saw them, much less that our paths crossed at the perfectly timed moment!
and back to Times Square to end the day!
Nothing like a little chocolate for a bedtime snack!














3 comments:
in one of the pictures of the statue of liberty it looks like there is smoke coming out of the torch :)
I noticed that too Kari!! How cool is THAT???
For some reason I keep getting kicked off without my comment posting. So I will try one more time.
Thanks for the time and effort the went into this post it makes me feel like I walked the streets with you guys.
My favorite pic is through the window while you are looking at the taxi's. I can just see all of you sitting there taking a brake people watching. Speaking of which that is what David and Mary would want to do the whole time we were there. ha ha
The pic of you on the ground is also great and well worth it cause I love the angle looks neat.
Austin in the candy bar with the girls makes him look to cool and old. They grow up way to soon.
The motel looks like any min James Bond is going to step right into the room.
It's hard to believe that there is such a great park right in the center of the big city.
Toys R Us is one of my favorite stores. I have never seen anything like that one.
What an awesome trip with some learning experiences thrown in along the way.
Post a Comment