O MY LORDIE. What a Day! We moved Nicole into her dorm and it took the entire day to get everything done. It was a great day and we enjoyed our time together. There was such a peace all day (thanks everyone for praying!). First, we met with the Assoc. Dean of Students, Jodi Ritter, and as I sat there in her office, I became overwhelmed with the doors that God has opened regarding college for Nicole. Jodi asked Nicole many questions about what she was hoping for, what she was worried about, her challenges, her strengths. It was soooo not your typical Student Dean meeting. She related to Nicole so much and has her very best interest at heart. She is personally setting up Nicole's counselors and study tutors. I could go on and on about this woman because she is amazing and I couldn't have designed a mentor any better. And get this! Her daughters ride horses! They live on a farm 6 miles from the campus and she'd like Nicole to give lessons to her oldest daughter, who is 12. Also, at UWEC, each student is required to fulfill 30 hours of volunteer service in order to graduate (another thing I loved about this school). So there is an equestrian center in Eau Claire that works with disabled children, and the equestrian club volunteers there. Nicole can fulfill her service hours by horse training. Unbelievable.
After the meetings, we grabbed some lunch and then worked in her dorm all afternoon. She just called a few minutes ago, and she had dinner with a friend and took her first dorm shower (haha) and is watching Lost. She sounded really good. Tomorrow she gets registered for her classes.
As we were working in her dorm, a million things went through my mind, but here just a few. It was a little surreal for Cary and me to be moving our firstborn into college, when it seems like not that long ago, we were meeting at college and living that life. Where on earth does the time go? Second, I am in awe of Grace. Completely and totally. We are all undeserving of it, but God calls us worthy of it. And when it becomes alive and real in our lives, the power of sweet grace is overwhelming. It changes lives and heals wounds and breathes life into darkness.
So here are some pics from the day!
An arial shot of the campus, which sits right on the river - it's beautiful.

Ahhhh, the fun unloading process....


A lot of work to be done!
4 comments:
Wow! This all happened so fast. Sounds like aGod thing. Will be praying for all of you.
Wow, what a job. Ok Coley's gonna be so smart, well she probably already knows more than all of us put together. Great news about her getting to work with horses. I'm still hoping that Shea will live at home while she's in college. Coley's gonna do great.
WOW!! Kirsten was reading over my shoulder and is FREAKING over the horse thing - what an amazing opportunity - DEFINITELY a God thing. I have to agree - you ARE lucky to still be alive, and all the better for it. YOU DID IT!!!!
PS) Cole's hair looks great!
Karen, I can totally relate to what you are going through. Stephanie is away at college and it's been quite an adjustment for me but she's doing GREAT and so will Nicole. I wouldn't take this experience away from her.. she's learning so much about life. But the growing pains for mom's are hard. Keep on trusting! Lisa
Post a Comment