Monday, September 6, 2010

Up North

We spent the weekend up north with the Smiths at their cabin and had planned on boating and tubing, etc. until the highs were only in the 60s! Sunday morning it was 41 when we woke up! It was so relaxing to breathe in the crisp, northern woods air - there's just something about it. The boys played outside constantly, and the kids made up such fun, simple games. It is so beautiful there, and life just slows down.

The sunset on the way there...

My traveling supplies :)

The girls all cozied in for their 3 hour ride.

The lake...




What we thought we'd be doing....but waaay too cold!

but the boys were just fine with lots of other activities!


On Saturday afternoon, we went to Brainerd to see the races and we really enjoyed the dragsters. Cary loved seeing the MGs and english cars (he'll blog about that). The girls eventually lost interest, so we did a little shopping in town before heading back to the cabin.





And this is how the boys were inspired from all that racing!

My sweet boy...



and my other sweet guy :)

The girls spent hours painting nails and having lots of fun with designs.

One night we made a bonfire and the girls came up with a game where they rode the bikes down the hill, crossed over, and did tricks. They were giggling so hard, they could hardly ride.








The stars were, well, indescribable. It's amazing how much you can see away from suburbs and cities. Duane even unscrewed the one lightbulb on the garage light, so it was pitch dark and Wow! We all got kinks in our necks, and at one point, I looked at Michelle and started laughing, and told her "you are sitting like Grandma Dot!". We stayed out that night until it got too chilly, just looking at stars, satellites, shooting stars and the milky way.



I love their lab, Jasmine, aka Jazz. She loves it at the cabin and is such a great dog - she went jogging with the girls (no leash - my pups would've been gone!).

She knows where to sit for scraps!

Her favorite thing in the whole world is to chase a ball. A hundred times isn't enough for her. You finally just have to stop so she'll breathe.


As were packing up, I came out to the garage, and the kids were hilarious. They were having races down the hill on whatever they could find, including a dumptruck. This is what I love about getting away - the simple, fun things that the kids come up with. We also played the most fun game of tag football I've ever played, and I think I missed my calling as a quarterback :).



Casey thought she should get extra points for "style".

We were back home, and this morning, took the girls for real manicures and as Michelle and I were sitting and talking, we saw the girls talking to each other through the little space where their nails were drying. I still had my camera and snapped this.


So Happy Labor Day to everyone - it's back to school for us tomorrow. We are ready, but hesitant to leave summer behind us.

5 comments:

Cary said...

It was so fun to get away!

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

oh wow!! that looks like the perfect way to end the summer. i can't believe how chilly it already was. we were pretty chilly though too this weekend. love the picture of casey on the dump truck - she looks like she is going to crash into the tree!! can't wait to see the back to school pictures!!

Nana said...

You crack me up saying up north. I didn't think you could go much more north and still be in the USA. The pictures are beautiful. Cold though. January weather for us. I think Casey deserves more points for style too. Looks like summer really is over for you guys. You and Heather....can't go anywhere without your M&M's. :)
We were down to 76 degrees tonight after our rain. Were getting cold too:) Tell Casey and Austin to have fun in school.

Just a "TAD" more said...

What great cooool fun. Last week there was one day we didn't get in the lake cause of the weather, it was 89 and windy. David pushed me in and I thought I would freeze.

Karen said...

Ilene, as we were driving I said "look at how big that hockey camp is!" and Cary replied "that's because we're almost in Canada and hockey is all they know!". I used to think we were north, until we go "up north" and you're surrounded by evergreens and birch trees - it's taken me a while to appreciate it, but now I think it's so beautiful.

Toinia! 89 and cold? Girl, where's the Maine in you??